The Best Advice
Looking back at my school days, I've received a lot of good advice from parents, teachers, and friends. When I was frustrated or failed, my mother said to me, never lose the chance to start over, failure is the mother of success, to believe that nothing is impossible, maybe it is just a matter of time. This sentence in my middle school has always encouraged me to strive to challenge the difficulties in life and study. But today, I want to share with you a piece of advice that I find most interesting:
"Never worry about two hours from now and eight kilometers away."
Two hours is what's going to happen, it's what we can do right now; Eight kilometers away is a matter of distance, which has nothing to do with us. What this really means is that we should just focus on ourselves, believe that whatever happens will be good for us, and reject people and things that drain our energy. Live in the moment and don't worry too much about what might happen.
Most of you have heard of the Law of Attraction, and its basic concept is that what you attract is what you pay attention to.
When I first heard it from my mother, she was watching The Secret (Rhonda Byrne) when I was six years old.
The book revolves around the Law of Attraction, and the author believes that thoughts can directly change a person's life. At that time, I didn't care and even thought the author was bragging, until I took an important exam last year.
Before the exam, I was nervous because I went to a strange city to take the exam alone. I have been worrying about what to do if I did not do well in the exam, what to do if I forgot to bring the admission ticket, and what to do if I missed the exam without hearing the alarm clock tomorrow? As expected, I was unable to sleep until 3:30 in the morning, during which I experienced counting sheep, listening to sleep music and other methods, and finally failed, the next day I stared at the dark circles under my eyes to participate in the unforgettable exam of my life, due to lack of sleep, I even began the exam with uncontrolled arm shaking. In the end, as you might guess, I got a surprisingly low score. After that, I sought comfort from my mother, and she calmly told me that I had already expected it, because you have been thinking about the exam results in a bad way, you think too much may lead to failure, then your thoughts directly determine your results.
Until then, I opened the book that my mother had kept for more than ten years and found the reason for the failure in the book.
After that, I firmly chose to believe in myself and never looked at the unknown from a pessimistic perspective. I never worry about what is two hours away or eight kilometers away, so I can solve problems in daily life and study.
Maybe my example does not prove my suggestion positively, but it is indeed the most profound and interesting example in my opinion. (Btw, I highly recommend you to watch The Secret, maybe you can also get strength from it.)
About my English learning goal
So far so good, but maybe memorizing a lot of new words will be a little difficult for me. I am trying to use the BBC English Practice channel to connect my listening and grammar, which seems to be an interesting and efficient way to learn. also, English movies are recommended. Next, I should choose to look for relevant professional vocabulary from the articles I read, because I find that I am really unfamiliar with these words.
Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoy my story. If there is a good way to learn English, please recommend it to me!
A very touching story about going through and overcoming the hardships and learning from them. I'm glad to hear you were able to find ways to help solve more problems in your day to day life.
ReplyDeleteAnd in my personal experience a great way to learn new words and to actually speak English is to find people to talk to with in English, it gives you genuine experience and gives you the chance to ask for the other person to explain what the words mean.
I liked how you connected your personal experience with the advice to not worry about "two hours from now and eight kilometers away." It’s a powerful reminder to stay present and not let fear of the future take over. Your example with the exam made the message even more relatable, and I think many of us can learn from it. Also, your approach to learning English is relatable—BBC English and movies are excellent tools. Keep going!
ReplyDelete