My Language Learning Journey
My Language Learning Journey
Introduction
When I first started learning English, it felt like trying to climb a mountain without knowing where the top was. I memorized words, repeated grammar drills, and watched movies with subtitles—but I still struggled to speak fluently or understand native speakers. Over time, though, I began to realize that learning a language isn’t just about studying—it’s about living with the language every day. That mindset changed everything.
Body
For me, the most effective way to learn a language is immersive learning. I don't mean having to move to an English-speaking country (of course that would be helpful), but rather integrating English into my daily life as much as possible. I changed my mobile phone system to English, watched YouTube videos without subtitles and listened to English podcasts while walking. Most importantly, I began to talk to myself in English - describing my day or thinking about problems in English, which made me more and more accustomed to expressing myself in English.
My real breakthrough point is that I'm no longer afraid of making mistakes. At the beginning, I was very afraid that others would laugh at me. If I spoke unstandardly, I would be evaluated. Before communicating with teachers and classmates every time, I would say "sorry, my broken english is not very well." But later I understood that everyone makes progress through mistakes, and the only way to become better is to keep trying. This change in mindset has made me more daring to speak and write, and has also made language learning easier and more interesting.
Here is a piece of advice for future ECIP students or those who are learning English: Please be patient with yourself. Progress doesn't happen overnight. Try to use English in real life - sending text messages, communicating in English more often, watching dramas are all fine. Don't be afraid to ask questions, talk more and try new things. Even a very small step is progress.
Conclusion
After this course , I plan to continue reading news and watching movies in English, and find opportunities to communicate with friends in English. I'm also considering taking an online course or joining a language companion group to keep practicing. In the future, I hope to work in the technology industry. Therefore, communication skills such as writing clear emails, expressing ideas, and explaining technical content in simple English are particularly helpful to me.
Language learning is indeed a lifelong journey - just as stated in that LinkedIn article. This is not a process of pursuing perfection, but a process of continuous progress. Every time I learn a word, I get one step closer to my goal.
I hope that in the future, I can express my thoughts more freely in English. I also hope that one day I can master a third language and continue to explore the infinite possibilities of the language world.
Watching YouTube was quite helpful for me too, as well as movies - they're almost always better with the original sound anyways. Glad to see you made progress and good luck with your journey!
ReplyDeleteExposing yourself to all kinds of English material really helps with the learning. It's great to hear that you have overcome the fear of making mistakes while speaking English, it really makes a difference.
ReplyDeletePatience is key here. Learning a language is a long and demanding process and most likely you will never achieve perfection, which is absolutely fine. I really like the new mindset of yours. Keep engaging with English as it is the best way to improve and good luck with your learning!
ReplyDeleteI liked how you described the shift from studying English to living with it changing your phone's language, listening to podcasts, and even thinking in English. That kind of immersion shows real dedication, and it clearly paid off.
ReplyDeleteYour journey is really inspiring! I liked how you emphasized using English in daily life and not being afraid of making mistakes, that’s such a valuable mindset for learning any language.
ReplyDeleteGood post! I agree that integrating English to your daily life is really efficient way to learn quickly. Also have to agree that it takes patience and you can't learn the language overnight. Good luck for your future learning!
ReplyDeleteWith consistency you are set to be a good English communicator, and your goals are well set. I find the best way of learning natural communication is to listen the language. It's a long process so I hope you will stay active in your learning!
ReplyDeleteYou wrote a clear and inspiring story about your language learning journey. I liked how you showed that progress comes from daily use and not being afraid to make mistakes. Your advice to be patient and keep trying is very encouraging. Great job sharing your experience and future goals!
ReplyDelete